Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Awaken


By Christie Hadden

It’s now been four consecutive days of goodness! Hallelujah! It has been 10 weeks of considerable lows and for the first time in over a year I feel clear headed and light as if the thickest, heaviest weighted blanket has been lifted from my entire body. No more brain fog, no more uncomfortable bellyaches, Nope; those have been replaced with a clear mind, an extra spring in my step and radiant energy.

I guess this witch doctery crap really works:  a detox, an introduction of the right foods, a truckload of vitamins and both mental and physical exercise.

My sleep cycle is all whack. Taking early evening naps and waking up at 4 or 5am is kinda insane. But if this is the downside of finding myself I am cool with that.

I have tried a few more GFCF products that I would like to talk about. Since the theme is awakening I’m going share my thoughts on foods all relating to breakfast.

Udi’s Plain Bagels:
5 out of 5 stars

More like a roll with a donut hole than a bagel, this bread is good. What a sigh of relief! I like toasting mine and making a sandwich: like w lox, red onion, capers, pea shoots and course mustard.  The outer skin is thin and offers a crunch when toasted and the inside is surprisingly light and totally unlike the dense GF breads out there. Udi’s are a definite brand to stock in the freezer

Van’s Waffles with berries:
4 out of 5 stars

This one has got me sayin “Leggo my eggo, man”. When I’m not feelin like cooking my typical egg for breakfast and need a quick breakfast to go, my Van Waffles are the ticket. I also love them as mid day snack covered with almond butter.

Eden Organic Brown Rice Flakes
5 out of 5 stars

These cook in a jiffy and are the best of the hot porridges. It’s kinda like eating rice pudding for breakfast. I take mine with soy milk, mixed dried berries, cinnamon and maple syrup. It’s so comforting on a cold winter morning and will stick with you. My family usually eats Irish Oats, but have found that Rice Flakes cook faster are just as good (actually better tasting). You and your family will love it.

###

2 comments:

  1. You are right, Christie, Udi's is definitely a brand to stock up on. A wonderful man working at Earth Fare in Brier Creek spent 45 minutes with me one day showing me all the gluten-free products, and he recommended Udi's. Great stuff! Love their cranberry-walnut bread toasted with cream cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I haven't tried the rest of the Udi's line and can't wait to try the cran-walnut bread. Sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete